Tuesday 10 December 2013

Review of The Forgotten Seamstress by Liz Trenow


I really enjoyed reading Liz Trenow's first novel The Last Telegram and have been looking forward to reading her latest book The Forgotten Seamstress.

Maria Romano grew up in an orphanage in East London. At the age of fourteen, Maria and her friend Nora are selected to become seamstresses at Buckingham Palace. Once there, they work very hard, but Maria catches the eye of the handsome young Prince of Wales. Soon things get out of hand and Maria is forced into devastating circumstances. Years later, a quilt is discovered that has been made with a very special and unusual material. Will this link to Maria and the Royal family reveal what really happened to her all those years earlier?

I really loved this book and the idea of the quilt, which held so many long forgotten secrets. It is beautifully written and I felt that I didn't want to put the book down until the very end. Trenow cleverly weaves in lots of historical facts and information that create lots of twists in the plot. I was particularly shocked by the idea of the hospital at Helena Hall. I can't wait to read Liz Trenow's next book The Poppy Factory.

The Forgotten Seamstress is a fantastic story that I found mesmerising to read. I was fascinated by the story and loved the the way that Maria's side of events is told through the recordings. It is a tragic tale, but at the same time is an utterly compelling read.

5 stars


Thank you to Olivia at Light Brigade PR for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment