Saturday 20 July 2013

Review of Vanity by Lucy Lord

Last year, I read Lucy Lord’s debut novel Revelry and loved it. I was really looking forward to reading the sequel Vanity and I am pleased to say that it was just as good.

In Vanity, we catch up with Poppy and Bella. It was a bit like meeting up with old friends and Lord’s writing really does bring these vibrant characters to life. Poppy is working hard in New York and doing really well. However, her husband Damian’s career has taken a nosedive and he does not deal to well with Poppy’s new found success. Over in London, Bella and Andy are enjoying their romance and from the outside they look like the perfect couple, but Bella is worried about Andy’s upcoming journalist project uncovering Russian people traffickers. I loved reading about their glamorous lives and trying to guess what would happen as these friendships are pushed to the extreme.

The various locations in the book were one of my favourite features. It is a real jet set story and we see the characters visiting New York, Paris, St Tropez and LA. It was also great to meet some new characters and I particularly liked Sam and Natalia.

Vanity was everything I hoped it would be and more. If you haven’t read Revelry then I would advise you to do so first as it will allow you to get to know the characters. However, you could read it as a standalone novel.

This is a brilliant, fun, escapist book that I would rate as a five star read. I cannot wait for the next instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment