Thursday 28 March 2013

Review of Rome The Art of War by M.C Scott


I have really got into reading books about Rome recently, so I was delighted to receive a copy of M.C Scott’s latest book ‘The Art of War’.

It is AD 69 and the story follows Vespasian’s rise to power. The main character is Pantera, a spy who returns to Rome intent on pulling people on to Vespasian’s side. Pantera is ruthless and will use whatever skill it takes to ensure that he gets his way. What I liked most is that we get to know Pantera from many different angles, as the story is told from the viewpoint of a series of different characters.

Beautifully written, this is a book that I felt unable to put down. Ancient Rome, complete with all of the sights, sounds and smells came alive on the pages and I felt totally hooked.

This is the fourth book in the series, but reads equally well as a standalone novel.

In short, this book is amazing – 5 stars without a doubt. I cannot wait to read Manda’s next book about Joan of Arc.

 Thank you to Transworld for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment