Sunday 24 February 2013

Review of The Baby Diaries by Sam Binnie

Last year, I loved reading Sam Binnie's debut novel The Wedding Diaries. So, I have been really looking forward to reading the sequel,The Baby Diaries.

Kiki and Thom have been back from their honeymoon for a few weeks when Kiki finds out that she is pregnant. What follows is diary of the run up to the birth of their first child and life once it is born. There are lots of sub plots involved too including problems at Polka Dot books where Kiki works, attending ante-natal classes, family issues and finding out that her (slightly crazy) childhood friend Annie is also expecting at the same time. I really enjoyed re-visiting some of the characters from The Wedding Diaries including Alice, Jaqui and Kiki's sister Susie.

I was really pleased to see that the novel was still in diary format from Kiki's point of view, as this was one of my favourite things about The Wedding Diaries. I found it to be a fresh approach and really made me feel as if I knew Kiki and the other characters. It is a very witty book and covers all of the trials and tribulations of pregnancy.

This is such a great, feel good book that will have you laughing out loud in places. I loved it and read it in two sittings. Although, it is a sequel it will also read well as a standalone novel.

Thank you to Avon for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment