Sunday 27 January 2013

Review of The Cornish House by Liz Fenwick

The Cornish House is a beautifully written novel by debut author Liz Fenwick.

Maddie inherits an old house in Cornwall not long after the death of her husband. She decides to make a fresh start and moves from London with her step-daughter Hannah. However, as well as battling her own grief she must cope with Hannah who does not like change. She must also face up to the fact that Trevenen, the house, is in need of a huge amount of work.

There is an element of mystery surrounding Trevenen and this really kept me hooked, I had a feeling that the house might be holding secrets. Fenwick cleverly injects romance into the storyline and I was able to feel swept away with the characters as the plot unwound.

The is a gripping and emotional read that I did not want to put down. The setting of Cornwall creates a magical atmosphere where romance and mystery come to life. It is well paced and I loved the way that the plot unravelled - it made for compulsive reading!

I enjoyed every minute of this book and eagerly await the release of Liz Fenwick's next novel.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh love al things Cornwall, this is defnitely on my TBR! Great review, thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sorry about that. Typing too fast. Love 'al', love 'all'. LOL!

    ReplyDelete