Friday 27 January 2012

Review of Miracle on Regent Street by Ali Harris




Miracle on Regent Street is the first novel from debut author Ali Harris. I was instantly struck by the beautiful cover and was not at all disappointed by the magical content.

The heroine is Evie Taylor, a hard working but unnoticed employee at Hardy’s department store on Regent Street where she runs the Stockroom. Hardy’s was once one of the top shopping destinations in London full of old fashioned glamour. However, it has now fallen on hard times and when Evie finds out that the stores days may be numbered she sets out on a mission to save Hardys.

I loved the descriptions of Hardy’s and the way that the characters looked back at its heyday in such a nostalgic manner. The store really comes alive to the reader and I found I could really visualise the beautiful sweeping staircase and the old fashioned perfumes and hats for sale. The book counts down to Christmas and I really enjoyed the way that it makes the reader feel that Christmas is creeping up. All of the characters were interesting and quirky in their own way, I adored Evie and Lily who works in the tea room.

Harris is a remarkable writer and has created a fascinating array of characters in this novel. I am really looking forward to future works from this author. Miracle on Regent Street is definitely a novel to go under the tree this Christmas -5 stars from me!

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment