Sunday 1 May 2011

Review of The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series and it is a great start for debut author Julie Kagawa. I was instantly swept away by this book and found that I could not really put it down.

Meghan Chase, the protagonist of the novel, wakes up on her 16th birthday expecting a normal day, hoping that her mother will take her to get her drivers permit. However, before the day is out she finds herself transported to another world, the Faery Kingdom of Nevernever in a desperate search for her four year old brother who has been kidnapped by unknown (and un-human) forces.

I loved Meghan’s character and she really changes and becomes a stronger person by the end of the novel. I also adored the Grimalkin, the talking cat who helps Meghan in exchange for a favour.
Robbie/Puck and Ash were also interesting additions. I surprised myself by liking Ash by the end of the novel – he is the typical bad boy heartthrob!

The plot itself was fantastic and takes the reader on a non stop journey from small town America to the beauty of King Oberon’s Summer Court to the chilling, icy landscape of Queen Mab’s Tir Na Norg and onto the grey, terrifying land of King Machina and the Iron Fey. The plot itself is full of twists and turns as we follow Meghan, Ash, Puck and Grimalkin on their journey to rescue Ethan. The fantasy element and romantic side of the novel worked extremely well together.

Overall, I found that I couldn’t put this book down. I loved the main characters especially Meghan and Grimalkin. I did find the use of Shakespearian characters to be an unexpected addition, but it actually works very well. There is so much going on in this book that there was no opportunity at all to be bored, as I was always desperate to know what would happen next.
 I can’t wait to read the next book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment